[about the author]
i actually like speaking in front of large crowds. freakish,
i work crossword puzzles in ink.
i am the american nigella lawson. or maybe the american eddie
izzard. can't decide, really.
i would be a really good mom, but i'm cool with being a really
i am sometimes more perceptive than i would like to be.
i am fiercely loyal. sometimes, stupidly so.
i never play dumb. never.
i am way too hard on myself.
i am a change agent.
i sometimes cross that fine line between assertive and aggressive.
i am not afraid to tell people that i love them.
i am militantly pro-choice.
i am pro-adoption.
i know a little bit about alot of things.
i typically enjoy the company of men more than women.
i am capable of being really mean and nasty, but i fight it.
i am a lifelong cubs fan. do not laugh.
i have been known to hold a grudge.
i have hips.
i am not my sister.
i am lousy at forgiving myself.
i am an indoor kind of gal.
i am a bargain shopper. to the point of obsession.
i am 32 flavors. and then some.
although today's [first] post addresses the ongoing saga of copyright infringement that has been documented and discussed here over the past several days, that's not all i have for you today. i have some inane-and-shameless-blog-pimping to do as well. so, stand by for that.
after all, there's more to a blog than simple legal battles.
- as of 11:00 pm last night, bryan lamb must have been tired of your emails because he made a few changes.
some of them are just enough to make it a little harder for me to prove what he did. for example:
82. i own more than 100 lipsticks and lip glosses. it's a sickness.
bryan's plagiarized material as it appeared on his site on january 7th, 2004 [based on dated printed pages as well as a date-and-time-stamped html file]:
"82. I own about 20 hats....it's a sickness."
and, now, bryan's changed material as it appears on his site as of this morning:
"82. I own about 20 baseball team hats.....can't.....stop......"
so, you can see, this is clearly different.
and, to those other bloggers whose copyright bryan is infringing: he has only changed the material he stole from me. no changes have been made to the other plagiarized material on his site.
and, although he did make those edits and deletions, he has made no apologies. no admissions. offered no explanations. not that there are any reasonable explanations, but you always hope that a person is going to come through and do the right thing. or at least i do. i can be more than a bit naive.
furthermore, the posted explanation for why he removed the plagiarized hiv story left me nauseated. it is an affront not only to me, but to my cousin, about whom the post was written.
but, at least my words do not appear on his page now. and that's probably the best i'll be able to do.
- blogger responded! maybe not as quickly as i would have liked, but, let's be honest: i wanted the plagiarized material down about 15 seconds after i saw it. they sent me with an email explaining their process for filing a notice of copyright infringement with them and requesting the removal of the material in question. despite bryan's edits, i have provided all relevant material to them and proceeded with my formal complaint in an effort to make them aware that this person has displayed a pattern of copyright infringement. blogger coould -- and should -- make this information more easily available on their site, as the issue of copyright infringement is obviously -- and sadly -- becoming increasingly widespread. i will post the information blogger provided to me and provide a permanent link on the left so blogger members will have the information they need to take quick action against those who violate their copyright protection.
- speaking of links, many of you [list to follow] were kind enough to devote space on your blogs to making others aware of this incident, linking to the related posts and encouraging others to speak up. i don't think bryan would have made even the minor changes he has without the pressure that i believe he must have been feeling from the blogging community. i feel compelled to single out sour bob for his in-your-face approach. not only did he display, um...conviction, but he did something maybe even more important: he brought the numbers.
bob gets massive traffic. readership that makes my head spin just thinking about it. big numbers. so, when bob speaks...people listen. and, based on the referral traffic my site meter showed, bob's readers listened in droves. i love you, bob.
in addition to sour bob, i'd like to thank the following [note: if i missed you, believe me it was only an oversight...my referral list was spinning so quickly yesterday i had a hard time keeping up. if i overooked you and you would like me to add you, please just let me know]:
both 2 and
blog on the run
girl from another planet
the renee chronicles
sangria is satan's sauce
biker bitch rose
prints the chaff
thanks, too, to all of you who sent emails, who posted comments, who offered money[!!], who offered legal services...you overwhelmed me. i've been writing here for over a year now, and, honestly, i love it. some days more than others. but, i have to say that this outpouring of support made me feel more appreciated and more connected to my readership than i have felt in a while. really. just overwhelming. thank you.
- next up: my legal dream team. i know many of you thought i might be bluffing, what with my obsession with poker and all, but no -- i really did have a lawyer. actually, not just one, but two. both of whom now know more about me than i wish they did, both of whom were mad as hell on my behalf, both of whom engaged in mockery and outrage with me in an effort to make me feel better, and both of whom would have been worthy champions had we had to fight the good fight. really, they're both great guys, incredibly snappy dressers, and i'm sure that, if push comes to shove and somehow this thing turns out to be not-so-over-yet...they'll do this pro bono. or at least at a reduced rate. ahem. anyway, you could do me a big favor and go over and visit the personal site of one of my knights in shining armor. it's new. there's not much content...except a really interesting legal analysis of the lord of the rings. no, i'm not kidding. anyway, it would make his day if you'd just click over for even a minute.
- lastly: read more about it. visit these sites to learn more about the protections available to you in maintaining the integrity of your creative work:
what is copyright?
lawgirl explains copyright
the us copyright office
if you're interested in exploring the idea of monitoring copyright infringement and plagiarism in the world of blogs, email brendon volpe [fraudblogAThotmail.com].
thanks again to everyone. hopefully, this chapter is closed. but, if anything else develops, know that i'll be sure to keep you posted. and put up a paypal link.
and, now, on with the show....
| [tell me about it] | [link to this entry]